Allen Archaeology were commissioned to undertake historic building recording of this Grade II Listed mansion, prior to demolition of a range of Victorian and later extensions, and construction of new extensions. The property is largely of 18th and 19th century date, with some possible 17th century elements surviving. Building recording was focussed on the 19th century elements proposed for demolition.
Detailed recording of the structure, as well as analysis of historic mapping, contemporary newspapers, historic photographs and other documents identified approximately 5 phases of development from the 17th century to the later 20th century. This included a major phase of redevelopment around 1886, and analysis of newspaper articles suggest this was the result of the death of the 95 year old owner William Sclater in 1885, and the passing of the property to his son George Sclater-Booth in 1886.
Numerous interesting architectural features were recorded, including several servants buzzers or ‘annunciators’, and a steel door to a Gun Room annotated ‘Hobbs, Hart and Co. Manufacturers. 76 & 77 Cheapside, London’. By researching the history of the company it was possible to date the door to 1887–1936, dates when the company first moved to Cheapside and then moved premises again.
Further work is expected in 2018, comprising archaeological monitoring of groundworks for the proposed new extensions, as the site lies along the presumed line of a Roman road.