Archaeological excavations undertaken prior to the redevelopment of Lincoln Bus Station revealed remains dating from the medieval period through to the 19th century including the remains of the Crown Brewery, whose extensive malthouses and other buildings extended across the area. The brewery was established in 1856 and was once the largest in Lincoln.
Parts of medieval buildings were also uncovered. Most were poorly preserved, but some wall foundations survived, along with a stone-lined pit or underground storeroom. The buildings had been constructed on sandy terraces created by deliberate landscaping and reclamation of what would have been a damp and marshy area. This reclamation required considerable effort and resources but the site’s location, close to the river and opposite the town, made this effort worthwhile.
A wealth of pottery and bone have been retrieved and will tell us much about the everyday lives of the people who lived in the area. Post-excavation work is currently underway.